So, it is that time of year again where we are all closing out the year but prepping for the next year. A big part of this is the transition day or even week/fortnight, however long you get, it is sometimes tough to fill the space with useful meaningful learning that won’t be lost over the summer. It is probably one of the most frequently asked questions in UK Teaching Facebook Groups too. So, I thought I would share with you some of the ideas I may use for my transition day.
Activities for Transition Day/Week
- Have a selection of books on stand by for students to read independently or in a group or with you as a class. This is a great way for you to see their reading dislikes and likes, those who are avid readers or those you are not. They can be anything from non fiction books to comics to magazines to novels short or long. I would also sneakily chuck in a few of the reading scheme they are going to follow because their reading score may be low because they find the mandatory texts boring, because once you have identified this you put rewards systems in place to engage them in mandatory texts.
- Take selfies for your classroom. This idea is based on the words of a famous educator called Hope King (Elementary Shenanigans) from the Ron Clark Academy. (Seriously if you haven’t heard about the Ron Clark Academy you need to google it. I have learned so much). In the words of Hope students need to feel comfortable and familiar in their classroom, because it is where they are going to spend of the year. A great way to do this is to have photos in photo frames so it feels more like community and you are on this journey together. Bring out the selfie stick.
- Talk to your students. What do you mean I already talk to my students? I mean that you could ask your students their hopes and dreams for the year. What THEY think will be expected of them? Then from this agree on the top 5 must follow at all times together.
- Do cool science experiments and problem solving tasks to see where the students are at in both maths and science.
- Quizzes with prizes – to see what they know already and more about their interests.
Hope this helps you in your transition day teacher friends, let me know how you get to know your new students either in the comments below or on social media @happyeducators
Happy Wishes Teacher Friends!